Coordinators Training

First batch of 15 Coordinators, of Press Clubs’ own choice, was employed, themselves after having undergone training on leadership skills, conducted in Mwanza and entered into contract with respective Press Clubs.

The Coordinators are Lucy Sinyangwe (Arusha), Daniel Msangya (Central), Yusuf Mazimu (Kilimanjaro), Mathias Byabato (Kagera), Diana Rubanguka (Kigoma), Thadei Hafigwa (Morogoro) and Mellania Ngonyani (Mtwara).

Others include Abida Mafuru (Mara), Edwin Soko (Mwanza), Felister Byengoma (Rukwa), Evarista Lucas (Singida), Job Chimwaga (Tabora), Neema Khatib (Tanga), Mgeni Kombo Khamis (Pemba) and Zanzibar’s Ali Bakari Othman.

The ones who got employment later on are Innocent Mwashambwa (Mbeya), Sherrif Maloya (Lindi), Nanyori Lona (Manyara), Winfrida Undole (Dar es Salaam), Margareth Malisa (Coast), Constancia Michael (Iringa) and Tembo (Ruvuma).

Of late, a significant number of new faces of Coordinators, however, have been taken on board to take the places of their counterparts, who had fallen out for various reasons. They are Seif Mwangwangi, Andrew Anthony, Esther Kipara and Silla Wlla.

Journalistic Training

At Press Clubs level progressing well for two years in a row. Initially, compelled to work to an extremely tight schedule on the basis of necessity to complement the just ended Press Clubs Project (then under Media Council of Tanzania (MCT)), UTPC Secretariat started conducting training sessions for Quarter I, for the first time effective November, 2011, involving 227 participants in total drawn from 17 out of 23 Press Clubs. Some 151 of them were males and 76 females.

By December, 2012, the number of training participants rose to a total of 2,169, including 577 females and 1,592 males, 40% of training duration being devoted to theory while the remaining 60% devoted to practical.

The journalists undergo the following training: Health Reporting, Investigative journalism, Policy Analysis and budget tracking, online journalism, Business reporting and Court reporting.

Others are Human Rights, good governance and democracy, Environmental reporting and Rural reporting.

An increase in publishable stories and articles carried in Tuwasiliane newsletter, improvement of quality of the stories are some of the immediate achievements registered as a result.

Press Clubs Organizational, Management Training 

Press Clubs Leaders namely: The Chairpersons, The Secretary Generals and Treasurers were trained on leadership and financial management. The objective of the training is to empower them so as to upgrade their capacity in the management of their clubs.

The training which was done in September 2011 at Lions Hotel in Dar es Salaam, provided a platform whereby those leaders, exchanged experiences and skills on how to manage a press club.

Hands on skills on how to keep books of accounts, retirement procedures and assets management were exposed to them. Other skills on conflict management and conflict resolution, and office procedures were also imparted to them.

Staffs Training

UTPC staffs for two consequtive years, have been trained with the aim of building their capacity, for better productivity.

The first session of training was conducted at Protea Hotel, Kilimanjaro on 3rd – 9th July 2011, then at Kolping Hotel, Bukoba on 31st October – 3rd November 2011 and the recent training was done at Tanga Beach Resort Hotel on 8th – 12nd October 2012. Staffs were trained on Records management, financial and grant management, procurement and assests management. They were also oriented with various manuals and procedures that are being used in day to day operation of the Union.